Stephanie Moncada of Weber Shandwick in Minneapolis, brought these useful interviewing tips to my attention.
Thanks for the useful tips Steph!
- Everything you say is on the record.
- Speak in human terms, don’t use too much jargon.
- Be clear and concise. Don’t use 10 words when you can say it in five.
- Always tie your answers back to your key messages.
- Use your key messages.
- If you cannot comment, explain why.
- If you don’t know the answer, say so. If possible, offer to track down the answer for the reporter.
- An interview does not have the natural flow of a conversation. Once you’ve answered the question stop talking. The reporter will ask you the next question when he or she is ready.